Friday, February 10, 2012

Baby Food Bonanza

Having and raising a baby in Saudi is definitely a wonderful adventure but can also be a bit of a challenge at times in terms of access to "stuff".  What kind of "stuff" you ask?  Well, the normal baby stuff that we take for granted in the US.  For instance...... diaper rash ointment, a wide selection of pacifiers, sensitive skin baby washes, baby toothpaste, baby sunscreen, baby pain reliever, quality baby toys that don't break after two days, formulas, Savannah's reflux medication, rice cereal......need I go on.  I think you're getting the picture. Each time we visit the States we make sure that when leaving Saudi we only pack 1 to 1.5 suitcases total; then we bring another 3 or 4 that are empty so we can fill them up with bounty to bring back.  Strange? Yes.  Humorous?  Definitely.  Needless to say, once we had Savannah our suitcases raneth over with stuff for her.

On Christmas day, we decided that it was time to let Savannah enjoy a little Christmas dinner,  and so we introduced her to squash.  She was just a few days shy of turning six months old, and we'd been noticing that she had been eyeing our food with great intensity for weeks.  As we suspected, SHE LOVED IT!  We were thrilled that she was eager to eat and a fan of her food, so we loaded up on a small stash of baby food and eventually headed back to Saudi.

BUT, guess what they don't have in Saudi- you got it- BABY FOOD! Wait, I should amend my statement to say that they have one highly mediocre brand of baby food that comes in a few different flavors of blended meals, and it's two dollars a jar!  Two dollars a jar for second rate food for my little sweet pea- I don't think so!  Now, I knew well before Savannah was born about the lack of options from watching many of my friends confront the issue.  The way I saw it, I had two choices.  #1- Haul a massive supply of baby food from the States in my suitcases.  #2- Make my own.

 It was a no brainer for me, and so the road of baby food making began.  The crazy and unexpected part is that I LOVE IT!!!!  Not only is it healthy and EASY, but it saves us sooooo much money (which really appeals to my frugal nature)! Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against jarred baby food.  We use it when we travel, and it is a lifesaver in a time crunch; however; I've liked making it so much that I'm planning continue even after we move back to the States.  

At first, I was totally daunted. Where do you start? I didn't have a clue how to make baby food or what it might involve.  Luckily, my wonderful friends Tara and Lindsey (in Saudi) and Sarah (in the States), pointed me in the right direction with lots of advice, websites, and books to check out.  The main website that I use is Momtastic's Wholesome Baby Food, and it has been fabulous! Initially, I tried just a few foods, but when I realized that it was so easy, I branched out!  I've since ventured into trying lots of different fruits and veggies (even the not so traditional ones).  It is a bit time consuming and will take me one or two or three hour sessions depending on how much I am making.  Our last session took about three to four hours , but I made five different veggies and five different fruits.  After we finished I realized that I had made a ton- enough food to last Savannah at least TWO MONTHS!  Perhaps I was a bit overzealous! :)

Baby food making boils down to some easy steps...

1.)  Pick it!
Pick out your food and prepare it (peeling, coring, etc.).  I try to use fresh fruits and veggies, but sometimes they are harder to find here, so I'll buy frozen.
Frozen veggies!  Do you see the arabic title?
Coring and peeling the pears.
I bake them in an inch of water (as suggested from Momtastic).



2.)  Cook it!
I boil the frozen veggies according to the instructions, but all of the fresh foods I bake or steam.


3.)  Puree it!
You can also add any water or seasoning if desired.
Cuisinart Shake Maker put to use!
From Right to Left Clockwise:  Spinach, Green Beans, Peas,  Brussel Sprouts (yes, brussel sprouts!), and Veggie Blend
Someone is excited about dinner!!!

4.)  Freeze it!
I freeze the food in plain ole ice cube trays, then pop them out and put them in labeled plastic bags.



5.)  Serve it!
Pop out a cube or two, warm it up, and presto- dinner is served! YUM!
I like my squash mommy! 
That's all there is too it!  It's funny how not having access to baby food here has turned into a bit of a blessing.  I don't think I would have ever tried to make my own food in the States, but Saudi forced me to try something new and now--I'm hooked!

Did I mention that Savannah likes everything, even the spinach and brussel sprouts?!?  We have a little foodie on our hands !

Since I think our child is the cutest baby on the planet, here are a few more pictures I snapped of her the day I cooked.  Enjoy!
This girl can zoom around the room in her little walker!
Lounging in the laundry basket!
Poor daddy!  Savannah is in the stage of trying to put everything in her mouth, even if it is attached.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment