I started this blog in January of 2012 with several motivating factors in mind:
Factor Number One: I thought it would be a great way to keep all of our friends and family in the loop of what was going on in our lives here in Saudi. It was beginning to get very time consuming and difficult to email everyone with pictures of Savannah, so blogging became an easy solution. Everyone could go to the same place to check out the latest news and pictures.
Factor Number Two: Several of my close friends here in Saudi have had blogs for years prior to moving. When they moved here I saw not only how they were able to keep their families updated on their lives, but I also discovered a really cool product that they both used. There is a company called Blog2Print that can create a book from the blog posts that you create. It is literally as simple as typing in the address of your blog and setting a few specifications on the time frames you would like the book to include. You do all of this online and boom.... a few weeks later your book arrives in the mail. I am not a scrapbooker, I tried to pick it up in high school and hated it. I have done photo books in the past and enjoy those immensely, but was never able to explain what was going on in the pictures as much as I would have liked. A blog book sounded like a great product and a solution to having a way to document what is going on in our lives. Some of you may wonder why I post some of the stories I post because they may be completely uninteresting or so trivial that it doesn't seem important, but it is part of our lives here and something that I want our family to remember and I knew that I wanted to create a book.
Those two factors set me out on a journey to try to blog for an entire year. Our website www.brentandlaurarailey.blogspot.com was created! My goal was to try to get at least four posts done a month and include the highlights of what was going on in our lives as well as some of the fun things of every day life. Sixty-two blog posts later, I reached my goal for 2012. I had actually documented our year! You have no idea how impressed and pleased with myself I am! For someone who doesn't scrapbook and has a hard time doing a photo book, I felt entirely accomplished!
I knew that I wanted to create a book, so I asked my friends for their advice and they reminded me which website they used. I also lucked out with a 15% off coupon too! Thirty minutes after opening their webpage, I place my order our first blog book. Two weeks later, it arrived at Brent's office and he brought it home. I AM SOOO PLEASED! It turned out beautifully! I am so thankful that our family will have a physical book to look back and reminisce about 2012! I love the idea that long after I am gone, my children will be able to look back at the pictures and words that I wrote to them and the blessed life the Lord gave us together! I plan to hopefully continue this tradition and create a book for each year of the blog.
So, if you find yourself wanting to create some tangible memory book for your family and you like the idea of blogging, a blog book is a great way to do it! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment