Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sewing In Saudi

When I moved to Saudi, a lot of my friends here learned how to sew and turned out amazing projects!!!  The first two years I was working at school, so I couldn't take the day classes.  After Savannah was born life got crazy busy and there was never enough time.  Finally, last May I bought a sewing machine here in Saudi with the intention of taking a beginner quilting class last fall.  Due to circumstances, travel plans, and plain ole life, I was unable to take the fall class and my poor sewing machine sat unused for months.  I was finally able to take it out of the box this February, when I started my beginners quilting class here in Jubail.  The course was taught by an accomplished Saudi lady who runs a full blown workshop/shop out of her home.  My friends Amber, Lindsey, and I thoroughly enjoyed the class and have since taken several others.  I've learned different quilting patterns and have even taken an appliqué class!

I decided to do my first quilt for one of our dear friends who was expecting a baby girl at the beginning of April.  The design is rail fence with two additional borders on the outside, and I chose pink minky for the backing.  It was truly a labor of love, because I felt like I would never finish, but I was so pleased with how it turned out!!!





After little Avery was born, her sweet parents graciously allowed me to get a few pictures of her with the quilt.  :)

Me and precious Avery


Me, Avery, and her sweet mama, Tara
After I finished the rail fence quilt, Brent requested that I make a quilt for him.  :)  Of course I was happy to oblige, so I decided to make him an LSU quilt.  :)  The pattern for this quilt was log cabin, but I only used three colors.  Purple and gold were my obvious first two colors so I chose black to be my third accent color.   I also used black minky for the backing so it would be nice and warm!  I was very pleased with the way it turned out and Brent has really enjoyed his quilt.  Don't even think of trying to steal it away from him!  :)




As I mentioned earlier I also took an appliqué class and let me tell you the possibilities are endless!!!  My friend Lindsey and I made Easter shirts for our girls, and I have also appliquéd several quilt squares for community quilts.  I am planning to make matching shirts for the girls, and can't wait to see how they turn out!!  :)

Fleur di Lis Quilt Square
Savannah's Easter Shirt
When we moved to Saudi, I never expected to pick up the art of sewing, but I have thoroughly enjoyed it!  I really look forward to taking more classes and working on more projects.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment